January 31, 2008

A Friend Indeed

“Now I know how to better pray for you. I’m so glad we had lunch together!” my friend Debbie said as I dropped her off at her home. As my dearest friend and trusted prayer partner, Debbie is a rare and treasured friend. Every month or so we get together for an afternoon of lunch and shopping. We laugh, cry, and pray together and it’s always a time of refreshment.

As the parent of a disabled child, my life is very restricted. I either need a babysitter for my daughter so I can go out with a friend or I must bring her along with me. My situation is a bit inconvenient and it affects anyone who chooses to be my friend. I don’t keep company with a lot of women quite frankly because I can’t always keep up with them. My life simply doesn’t accommodate a free approach and sometimes I miss not being able to do all the things I would like to do. But one thing is for sure; God has never failed to give me a terrific support system. Of the few close friends I do have, I must say they are the cream of the crop. They understand my situation, help me make the best of it, and pray for me without ceasing. I could not make it without their love and support, nor would I want to try.

Ecclesiastes 4:10 says, “If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!” I know from experience how true this is. Life is simply sweeter (and safer) with a trusted friend and confidant. Whether it’s a sister, co-worker, mother, or neighbor, a good friend is a must. Without one, life would be too difficult to bear.

Do you have a trusted friend and prayer partner? If not, ask God to send one your way ASAP. Then begin praying and preparing for her. Ask God to help you see her when she enters your life, and who knows she may be in your life already. I pray the Lord will bless you with a good and godly friend today. You deserve one!

Visit Nancy's Website: Olive Leaf Ministries

No comments: