January 28, 2008

Ecclesiastes

So why would anyone name their dog Ecclesiastes? Well for me it’s like writing a book. The first thing that comes to mind is the topic, then the title, followed by a subtitle, and last but not least…the content. Such was the process of getting a dog. First God quickened my cat-loving heart to the idea of switching camps and then promptly provided a name for the aforementioned dog. Much like a roller coaster ride, I was not sure what all transpired, I just know it was fun, I don’t regret it, and I’d do it all over again.

I must confess, however, the name Ecclesiastes did not come out of the blue or without merit and meaning. He’s named for a very specific reason, because the book of Ecclesiastes represents precisely where I am in life this very moment. With fabulous 50 only a couple of miles ahead of me, I have officially entered the latter half of life and like King Solomon, it’s prompted me to ask a multitude of thought provoking questions. Questions like, “What is my purpose here on earth? What impact does my existence have in the grand scheme of things? Where is God leading me and what’s in store for me once I get there?” Following my mother’s recent death, these questions have hit me full force and proven to push me to a new level of self-awareness of God’s purpose for my life. As I pondered these questions, one book of the Bible kept coming to mind, the book of Ecclesiastes! Hence, the name for our dog.

I am not quite sure what God plans to teach me through our little Ecclesi, but I do know this canine from the tribe of Judah (you’d have to read the prior blog to get this) is going to help me through this next phase of life. I can’t explain it, but somehow God is going to use him to teach me more about Him. I’m not sure how he’s going to do it; I just know that’s the plan and I look forward to it. After all, if God can speak through a donkey (Numbers 22:30), Ecclesi should be a cinch.

With that said, I hear the sound of large paws galloping through the house. Ecclesiastes is awake for the day, which means it’s time for me to go play. My little sugar cookie with two chocolate chip eyes and big prune nose needs me. It’s so good to be needed. Talk with you later!

Visit Nancy's Website: Olive Leaf Ministries

No comments: