January 2, 2008

"This is my Son"

Matt. 3:17 “And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (NIV)

As I entered the dairy section of my local supermarket suddenly something caught my attention. My son’s name was being paged over the intercom. “Oh yes, he is working today. Maybe I’ll see him before I leave” I thought to myself. Just hearing the name of my first-born heightened my stature as I lifted my chin and smiled. That was “my” son, the one whom I love and whose name is like music to my ears.

I can only imagine the joy of our Lord as His Son ascended from the waters of baptism. The task ahead, though grueling, would not only change the world but also bring salvation to all of mankind. The Father’s voice spoke to humanity “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” But few respond to the name of the Jesus as His Father did that day. Like the shoppers who heard the name of my son, never blinking an eye, many hear the name of Jesus and continue on unchanged.

What does the name of Jesus signify to you? What impact does it have on your life? Jesus isn’t only God’s Son, He is our bridegroom and we are His bride. Our hearts should flutter and our chins proudly lift at the very mention of His name. He is the pure reflection of the Father and we, His children, are called to be like Him.

Visit Nancy's Website: Olive Leaf Ministries

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Post. Thanks for the encouraging words.