November 28, 2011

When All Is Said and Done...

Last year in Christmas 2010: Take Two I shared how, by blond impulse, I assembled our tree wrong. Putting long limbs above short, it resembled Charlie Brown's tree standing pathetic, gangly, and lopsided. Seems this season a brainless fiasco unfolded again.

After decorating the fireplace/T.V. room Saturday, I took a rest and began to load the tree in the front living room with lights Sunday. Pulling up the usual Christmas garb, I couldn't find a single strand of lights. I vaguely recall light trouble last year, but that describes every year. Assuming I'd tossed out the old and needed new, I purchased two boxes of brand spankin' new lights; the kind that fit outdoor bushes not indoor trees and have to go right back to where they came from.

By a whisker this little guy
almost became our tree for 2011.



Then...I remembered the light bag
I forgot to pull out of the basement!
Easter baskets propped on the top
threw me off course.



A quick test and waaalaaa!


Soon Beanie joined in...



Last but not least, the nativity.


After pointing each nativity figure to face baby Jesus, the Lord reminded me that it doesn't matter what glitch, malfunction, or disappointment comes our way this holiday season, peace is ours when we set our hearts on the reason for the season, Jesus Christ our Messiah and Prince of Peace!

The next time you find yourself frustrated or unhappy this season, stop and examine your focus. Is it directly on Christ and what He has done for you or centered on something of no eternal value? May we each determine to resist getting whipped up into the rush of the holidays all to forget the meaning behind the season.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

Father help us keep our eyes set on your Son.

3 comments:

JanaM said...

Nancy, I think we can all relate to decorating glitches! I especally notice it when the men do the outside lights! Thank you for reminding me to keep the right perspective on the season. I needed to hear that today.
God bless!

katiegfromtennessee said...

I think that verse in Isaiah is my favorite Christmas verse!:)

Cheryl Barker said...

You are so right, Nancy -- our peace and joy are found in Him!

p.s. You're also right about the lights -- trouble every year! :)