July 13, 2010

22 Years!

Ahhh...I remember it well, heading to the hospital at 6:30 in the evening twenty-two years ago, not to have a baby but to work the night shift in ICU. With every bed in the unit filled to capacity, the nurses' report room was a mighty tight fit.

Big as a barn I busily took notes of each patient's condition, but soon found it increasingly difficult to pay attention. Coming to my senses after a particularly hard contraction, my eyes lifted to meet the stare of male nurse looking straight at me. "Are you alright? You look like you're in labor. Should you be here?" he said with chin pulled in and eyebrow raised.

All heads turned as his comment effectively blew my cover and in a flash the nursing supervisor was called, my condition was assessed, and I was on my way to having a baby. Our little doodlebug was born that morning at 3:30 am and the rest is history.

The "Queen" as we call her has been a puzzle, pickle, joy, and mystery all rolled up in one. Jimmy and I of course had no clue what our future held the day she was born, but even after 22 years we wouldn't trade her for nothin', no way no how.

Of course, life with disabilities is an exceptionally tough road, just ask someone in our shoes. There are times when grief is a monster shy just one hair of overpowering us as the reality of her disabilities sinks deeper into our hearts. Then, amidst it all we remember two key anchors of hope: God allowed her into our lives and He has a perfect plan.

Happy Birthday little sis.
We love you!

Dani with all her presents.
Brother Drew mailed her a package of candy
which arrived right on time.

Dani's Day Hab had a party for her today. She proudly left this morning with her 9.5 lb cake (no joke that thing nearly broke my back carrying it to the car) and celebrated with her friends. She received a stack of handmade cards, peach body spray (which she's applied 5 times this evening), and a twelve-pack of roller lip gloss. Jimmy said she plopped herself in the car with all her gifts, flipped down the sun visor, and began lavishly applying her lip gloss. She's her mama's girl.

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb."
Psalm 139:13


1 comment:

katiegfromtennessee said...

Happy Birthday Dani:) You are a blessing to many.