April 20, 2010

Take Flight

It was early morning and I was plugging along on the last 1/2 mile of my early morning run. The sidewalk's incline was slight but ever so tiring and all I could think about was the oasis that lie ahead, the refreshing bottle of water sitting on my door step. Like a sloshy stop watch, it's the last thing I touch before heading off and the first thing I pick up when I arrive back home. Just over the hill and one left turn, then I'd be home and done for the day.

I was tired on the last hill and a little slow as well, but steady nonetheless. I was going to finish no question about it. The sun was shining horizontal rays across my path and the birds were busy with their daily activities. One little Robin was so caught up in her early morning routine she hopped from the grass onto the sidewalk and began running in front of me. I don't think she saw me at first but once she landed on the pavement my presence began to haunt her. She ran like the wind in a wavy pattern and I couldn't take my eyes off her delicate little bird legs. How does she run so fast on those tiny little sticks?

She was about seven feet ahead of me and the thought crossed my mind she might "pass the baton" at any second. We kept pace with one another for a time, but the longer we ran together the more uncomfortable she became. I sensed her tension and couldn't help wonder why she didn't just up and fly away. Sure she was way smaller than me and I far stronger, but she had one thing I didn't have. Something that could whisk her off to safety in nothing flat...wings to fly far far way.

Little Miss Robin eventually gathered her wits and took flight. She was gone in a flash leaving me to pound the pavement that last 1/2 mile home. Our little jog together may have scared her a bit, but it got me thinking a lot. Sometimes I'm like my little fowl friend. I get to doing my own thing when suddenly the enemy is on my tail scaring me half to death. I pick up the pace but am no match for his skill and expertise. So I run and run and run, forgetting I have something he doesn't have...wings to fly away.

Paul describes eight different kinds of wings we can use to fly from the enemy when he's hot on our trail. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things." Philippians 4:8 He goes on to tell us, in verse 9, that when we set these wings in motion the peace of God will be with us. A far cry from running in terror.

God's word is full of great truth designed for our daily living. While the enemy wants to intimate and distract, the Lord is ready to protect, guide, and direct our every step. What great strength we gain in having a positive attitude and mind set on the things of God. Focusing on the truth of God's word effectively leaves our enemy in the dust, much like miss birdie left me on the hill.

If you feel chased by the enemy take flight. Meditate on all that is true, lovely, good, and praiseworthy. Then relax with the peace of God in your heart. If anyone asks where you get your peace, tell them from a birdie...Little Miss Robin.

3 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Wonderful post, Nancy. Love the picture you painted for us of how to flee from the enemy. So thankful for the wings God gives us!

Amy E. said...

Such a great word. Thanks for sharing. I love it when we stop long enough to learn the lessons the Lord lays before us in His creation.
Have a wonderful day!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Hey Mrs. Nancy:) This is exactly what I needed today, blessings to you!!:)

katiegfromtennessee