April 5, 2010

"Kolesterol"

Well the cat's slowing but surely scratching its way out of the bag as I work on committing (as in still in the process because I can't believe I'm doing this) to run a 5K in May. For most people the "K" in 5K refers to distance. In my case it refers more to the "k" sound in cholesterol. While it's true I could lose a few pounds and yes I need to exercise more as a general rule, the real motive for getting off my keaster is this dog-on cholesterol.

Now, I've been exercising nearly all my life. I played basketball in high school (bad but played nonetheless) and when aerobics hit the scene in the 80's I hopped on the band wagon leg-warmers and all. Somewhere in my 40's though exercise began to creep down my list of priorities. Now I'm paying the price with a pesty cholesterol level...so I gotta get moving.

For me passion is driven by motive and cause, so I figured if I could run for a reason I'd kill two birds with one stone. The May 5K benefits a local family with three terminally ill children, a run in September is for breast cancer (which took my mother's life), and last but not least the Autism run will touch my heart most of all.

With all that said, if you're ever driving down the road and see a runner plugging along, think of me and pray for my 5K cholesterol. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I just had a cardioscan today which showed all my heart's arteries were clear as a bell. This tells me the two "mild inclines" I ran yesterday weren't as close to killing me as I thought they were.

1 comment:

Cheryl Barker said...

Nancy, I'm so proud of you! Wow -- what a goal! All the best as you train and run your races -- and as you lower your cholesterol. By the way, love your sense of humor about it all :)

(Also, did you get the email I sent last week? Not sure I'm using your current address. Thought I better check...)