August 20, 2011

So Sad

There are some things you just don't want to end. Close rare relationships, box of chocolates, lushy ice cream, touching song, unforgettable movie, hard-to-put-down book, or perhaps, as in this case, a fabulous Bible study.

That's where I found myself this morning at the end of Elaine Olsen's, Peace for the Journey. Closing the back cover, slow and methodical, it felt like I was losing a friend. I sat there wondering what to do next and how to top this wonderful journey. Her study has been my companion for a couple of months now. I've taken notes, underlined sentences, highlighted words, and dog-eared pages to remember particular points. I even wrote quotes from her study in my 3x5 index cards to review for a later time. I'm sad it's over. It was so good I feel a sense of loss. Now, that's a good study!

I wrote about Elaine's work in Your Sista's Having a Hista, Part 4, Hidden Treasures. It touched me deeply then and continued to impress to the end.


I can't say enough about this study and recommend it for personal study as well as groups. You won't be disappointed.

Fitting enough, Elaine concludes her prize quoting Jesus's words in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Thank you dear friend for the gift of walking with you through this study.

Blessings!


3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Nancy... you have blessed me far more than I deserve with the many kind words you've written about my work. This was my first, actual "to print" baby, so it is special to me. Since it's publication, I've written a couple of more books; not sure what I'll ever do with them. Life got in the way... as you well know.

Anyway, you bring joy to my heart this morning with your gracious words of blessing. I hope that we have an occasion to meet someday and talk about the wonderful faith we share in Jesus Christ.

I'm enjoying your study as well. Today, I've underscored and starred some words on page 71--this pondering about our 6th day creation and the possible reasons behind God waiting until then.

Good stuff, sister. Really good stuff. I've grown to love doing Bible study by myself in the morning. I love being part of a group as well, but there's something very intimate about it just being God and me.

Praying your day filled with the generous favor of God!

peace~elaine

Cheryl Barker said...

Nancy, I haven't done Elaine's study yet, and you really whet my appetite for it. Will have to add it to my "to read" list. So glad you were so blessed by it!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I love Elaine too! She is one of my dearest mentors and friend I met in bloggy world years 4-5 years ago and you cannot find a more devoted woman of God. I found you through her and am currently in your devotional book and being just as blessed and convicted as Elaine's devotional. God is so good to have woman like you two here to lead the rest of us!!

Living in His Embrace~ Pamela