January 9, 2010

Super Duper Ready for Bed

Last night at bedtime Jimmy let the dogs out to do their business while we commenced with our evening ritual of brushing teeth, turning off lights, and shutting down the computer and T.V. After finishing with Dani's teeth (thanks dear) Jimmy paused to let the dogs back in. Now mind you, the midwest is suffering a severe whipping by the most frigid cold snap we've seen in years. Snow is piled several feet high at every turn and the mercury has long since drained out the bottom of our thermometers, which no doubt explains why Cocoa Bean beat everyone to bed last night.


Like a fully fueled rocket fresh off the launch pad, he shot in the back door through the house and disappeared leaving only a faint tinkling sound of dog tags lingering in the air. His quick disappearance peaked my curiosity so much I stopped what I was doing to see if my suspicions were true. Now, if I was a bettin' girl I'd have placed a hefty bet on his whereabouts, I'd have won, and been set for life, because sure as shootin' there he sat perched atop the warmest spot of the house...our bed.

Peering at us as if we were tardy to the biggest event in town, he put me in mind of an avid theater buff proudly claiming the first seat of a sold-out movie premiere. All he needed was a heaping bag of popcorn, some Jujubes, and a large soda pop. He was so dog-on cute I quickly grabbed my camera to capture the warmest moment this cold midwest has to offer.

Needless to say he slept warm and snug with us till sunrise. Now, if I were a bettin' girl I'd bet I know what's gonna happen tonight as well.

1 comment:

Cheryl Barker said...

So cute. This cold weather makes us all run to snuggle in, doesn't it? Stay warm -- that's what I'm trying to do, too!