January 3, 2011

The Book of John

One of the most comforting books of the Bible is the book of John. Known as the book of love penned by James younger brother and youngest disciple John, it resides in a class all its own. With a transformation that must have given John whiplash, this once prejudice young "son of thunder" grew into an elderly man best known for his abundant love and compassion. Second to Jesus I'm most eager to meet John, the one whom Jesus so dearly loved.

With 2011 underway, we are closer than ever to our Lord's coming. As we wait His return we're called to be vigilant and alert. One way to "stay awake" is to study His word, even if it's only a little each day. I plan to remain rooted in God's Word by blogging my way through this beloved book. What better way to remain positive in a dark world than to focus on the love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It's a must for daily survival.

Each week or so I'll make an entry that will cover one segment of each of the 21 chapters. I've long since learned that speed is not the key to learning the truths of God. It's much better to take a small bite, mull it over, and digest it gradually to gain the most benefit. Reading the Bible in a year is a great overview but once that's done, studying one chapter or segment of a chapter per day or week is highly beneficial as well. Just as the rabbit focuses on speed to cross the finish line, the tortoise uses stamina and determination to accomplish the same result. Both cross the line but through different means. The rabbit may finish first but is sure to miss much of the scenery along the way. The tortoise, on the other hand, finishes later but gains different insight of the landscape on his journey. Neither is right or wrong. They are simply different ways to arrive at the same destination, each offering what the other cannot.

Feel free to tag along as I travel through the gospel of John. We won't travel at warp speed but we won't grind to a halt either. A nice steady pace is the goal, just fast enough to see the sights and take pictures along the way. Each entry will have scripture included which will generally be New International Version (NIV). I'll point out meaningful things I see and offer points to ponder and encourage you to do the same. In my mind the Word of God is like a mirror ball on a dance floor. One slight move in any direction reflects new insight impossible to see a fraction of an inch away. While I may glean one thing from a verse, you may see something totally new and different. That's the beauty of God's Word. It's alive and active, touching us right where we are at any given moment. With this in mind I encourage your input. It'll enrich the journey all the more.

I look forward to traveling with you!

5 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Nancy, I look forward to seeing what you glean from the book of John. I like the approach of concentrating on smaller portions of scripture, too, and also love how God's word can speak to us in different ways. God bless your journey through John!

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to begin this journey with you! I just started reading John and came upon this info about your study on FB!! Msg me or email tlhower@gmail.com to let me know how else I can get in on your study!

Abba's Girl said...

I look forward to reading what the Lord has impressed upon your heart.

May we serve Him well in 2011.

Annette

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

I'm looking forward to hearing your input.

katiegfromtennessee said...

Greetings Nancy! This is the coolest thing. My pastor just started what will be a long study (probably over a year) going verse by verse through the book of John last Sunday. If you want to follow his sermons as well, then check out www.fbcpowell.org

Blessings!